I signed up for the Goodreads Reading Challenge again this year—resolving to read at least 50 books—the same number as last year. I’m a reader who likes to take her time, so a goal of 50 books means I have to stay on task. This year I plan to be more intentional in the selection of the books I read, and to that end, I’ve decided to do my reading from incremental lists – to select 10 books at a time, mostly from books that are already in my Kindle or on my shelves (each one a promise I, at some point, made to myself, or a book that was given to me as gift by someone who chose it especially for me).
Over the course of 2017, I will read 50 books from 5 Lists selected 10 at a time.
List #1 – To be read January through the middle of March (in no particular order)
- A People’s History of the United States by Howard Zinn
- Mrs. Bridge by Evan S. Connell
- This Changes Everything by Naomi Klein
- The Invention of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd
- The Getaway Car by Ann Patchett
- All the King’s Men by Robert Penn Warren
- Captive of the Delawares by Evelyn Nevin
- Upstream by Mary Oliver
- The Mermaid Chair by Sue Monk Kidd
- The Emperor of All Maladies by Siddhartha Mukherjee
To me, every book (or poem, or essay, or short story) is a conversation with the author, and I can’t wait to get started.